Travelling around a new area abroad can be a little daunting – however, Murcia is easy to navigate, and many tourists take advantage of car hire. Hiring a car in Murcia is an ideal way to explore the area; it’s affordable and convenient, and gives you and your family the freedom you need on holiday. With car hire, there’s no need to navigate local transport, you can create your own schedule and travel in complete comfort.
Murcia offers a wealth of experiences and sights to sample that are easily accessible by car. Explore Murcia itself and visit the 15th century Cathedral de Santa Maria, see the Almudi Palace and Castle Monteagudo; don’t forget to stop at the many restaurants and bars in Murcia to keep refreshed – a necessity in the hot Spanish climate.
If you’re after a relaxing day trip, simply pack a picnic and head to one of the vast, beautiful Blue Flag beaches located in La Manga; located at the most southern part of the Costa Brava, the area is renowned for its stunning vistas and miles of golden beaches. Simply click here: Beaches in Murcia, Spain for more Murcia beach ideas and recommendations.
If sampling some authentic Spanish culture is right up your street, then head to the Mediterranean city of Cartagena. Located just 70 kilometres (just over a half-hour’s drive along a winding, scenic coastal highway) from Murcia, Cartagena has been influenced by many cultures resulting in a city rich with cultural heritage. From Baroque and Neo-Classical buildings to archaeological sites, the area is fascinating to explore.
For some further-afield adventures, head to Torrevieja. Home to the Aquoplolis Water Park where the family can enjoy great water sport activities. It’s renowned as one the largest and best water parks in the Costa Blanca region; the slides and pools will keep the children entertained all day. Alternatively, make the most of your car hire and travel to the famous safari park at Elche – the kids will love seeing the lions, elephants and giraffes; river boat trips at the safari park offer wonderful experiences for all the family.
As the summer holiday season approaches the Costa Calida in Spain has never been more popular for holiday rentals in Murcia. Families and groups are booking affordable luxury villas with pools in Murcia on Polaris World Resorts, and with flights booked too they are excitedly planning their holiday excursions.
Whatever adventures you’re after, make sure to hire a car in Murcia to make the most of your holiday this summer.
- You must book your Murcia hire car in advance, especially during the busy summer periods, to ensure availability
- Make sure to ask your car hire company if there are any additional fees for extra drivers if more than one of you holiday party will be driving
- Verify legal age restrictions; some hire companies have a minimum age of 21, while others insist drivers must be at least 25
- If you have babies, toddlers or small children, ensure the correct seating adjustments such as car seats and baby carriers are available and provided by the car hire company
- Don’t forget to obtain a map of the area you will be driving around; even the best navigators can get lost in a new area, have a map handy just in case
- Respect local laws such as speeding restrictions and drink driving (always have a designated driver for evenings out and drink driving is prohibited in Spain). Remember the police have every right to pull you over and fine you if you break the law.